Re: Terminology question

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 21:38:57 GMT

pamelafluente_at_libero.it wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I need to give a name to some categories of objects in a program. Name
> must be clear to the user and possibly 1 word.
>
> o1 = Database --> "database"
> o2 = Connection to a Database (connection string + login info) -->
> "connection"
> o3 = Connection to Database + SQL/custom program to extract data
> --> "??"
>
> Question.
>
> What is the best name for o3. I wanted to call it a "datasource", but
> some people are arguing that "datasource" is usually the same as
> database.
>
> What is your suggestion for a clear and meaningful naming of these
> objects ?

I haven't a clue what you are talking about. A database is a set of facts. How one 'connects' to that is beyond me.

A client computer can connect to a server. A database management system can authenticate a user.

I suggest you focus on mastering the basics before inventing new terminology. Received on Sun Sep 03 2006 - 23:38:57 CEST

Original text of this message