Re: Surrogate Keys: an Implementation Issue

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:56:36 GMT

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:mJ6zg.277632$Mn5.224019_at_pd7tw3no...
> Brian Selzer wrote:

>> "paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message

>>> For some people, unfortunately, that is a matter of belief.  In the
>>> context of RT, I'd say it is mere willfullness.  To see why, try to
>>> avoid the words 'before' and 'after', using say, x and y instead to
>>> stand for two relations (which  might be the same).  To ask which one
>>> (or two) does the db state at this moment in time is the same as asking
>>> does it state x or does it state y.  But to ask which one(s) was stated
>>> yesterday requires that we deliberately add time information.  This is a
>>> choice that allows us to ask the second question.  The point is that we
>>> may not be interested in the second question and choose not to state
>>> information about time which makes the use of a time concept arbitrary.
>>>

>> But the assignment operation by its nature determines the order of the
>> states x and y: one must always precede the other because the operation
>> itself produces that other.
>

> I think you are pre-supposing a particular imperative implementation.

You're probably right. I generally visualize a discussion as an interplay between participants in a definite sequence, rather than applying a set of rules to the superset of all possible database states and coalescing around the one that meets that criteria.

>>> Maybe the confusion arises from Codd mentioning 'time-varying
>>> relations'. In the interest of making his main points in an efficient
>>> way, I suspect he didn't want to dot every last 'i'.  As soon as you
>>> talk about relational assignment you are talking about variable
>>> replacement, aka pointer replacement.  Logical replacement doesn't
>>> require any notion of time.  Nor does algebraic difference.
>>>

>> Could you please elaborate on that?  Replacement, as I understand it,
>> subsumes that something exists and will be superceded by something else.
>> Algebraic difference isn't even related to assignment.  Difference is an
>> operator, assignment is an operation.  I don't understand why you
>> included it.  Perhaps you're conflating the concepts of operator and
>> operation.

I apologize for the confusion here. I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe I shouldn't post after pulling an all-nighter.