Re: How to update multiple rows atomically

From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 00:42:00 GMT

Marshall wrote:
> Tonkuma wrote:
>

>>This UPDATE worked on DB2 UDB. So, it may be MySQL specific
>>restriction.

> THANK YOU!
>
> Having only MySQL to test against is like having brain damange.
> One never knows if one's experimental results are completely
> invalid for reasons having nothing to do with the experiment.
>

> Marshall

MySQL is broken.

I've developed on a number of different database systems - Informix, Oracle, Postgres, and DB2, among others - and have been hearing about MySQL for a few years. I recently started a project where MySQL had replaced Postgres as the engine of choice because "it's much faster." Hmm...

There are lots of missing features and a good number of quirks in the syntax, but the thing that bothers me most is that it ingests SQL like every other DBMS out there -- but gives different results.

The authors aren't dumb - there are a number of good things in the product - but they don't hesitate to do things differently or settle upon different semantics for "standard" SQL. Tread carefully. And I'm not at ease with the several warnings sprinkled throughout the documentation that "things are going to change."

As for speed: well, it's faster for some types of queries and it's much slower for other types. But that's true about all the engines out there... Received on Sun Jul 30 2006 - 02:42:00 CEST

Original text of this message