Re: Surrogate Keys: an Implementation Issue

From: paul c <>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:14:30 GMT

Brian Selzer wrote:
> What's the point of a database if it doesn't reflect some aspect of reality.
> Assertions are worthless without a frame of reference. A database can only
> guarantee consistency, not correctness. Therefore, the truth of a statement
> comes from without the database, that is, from reality. With surrogates, I
> can extract more meaning from a database by being able to determine which
> premises changed and how. I can also to avoid the problems that I described
> earlier. Your statement underscores your complete lack of understanding ...

Guilty as charged. I completely do not understand how statements about a database can possibly be equated with the statements in the database, nor how a database is any use unless we can say it is correct.

> and, quite frankly, paints you with the same colors as Bob Badour, who with
> infantile and malicious comments seeks only to goad.

Off-topic, not interested. However, if I were asked, I would guess his motive was to discourage mysticism, not goad it on!

p Received on Sat Jul 29 2006 - 20:14:30 CEST

Original text of this message