Re: Surrogate Keys: an Implementation Issue

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:03:12 GMT

Your points are well taken. A relation value is a set of statements of fact. I think it's important to be able to determine whether or not the reality underpinning one of those statements changed from one database state to the next, and to a limited extent, how. This requires the ability to correlate the premises in one database state to those in the next. This is not possible using the operations available in the Relational Model without knowing for certain that there is a candidate key on each affected relation whose values will remain constant throughout an update. I may be guilty of conflating terms when I speak of updating the wrong row, but the problems I described in my earlier post are real.