Re: Surrogate Keys: an Implementation Issue

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Jul 2006 22:29:52 -0700

Brian Selzer wrote:

> I used this example to make a valid point. I could have written a 20-page
> long dissertation describing one of the many instances where I've
> encountered these problems in practice, but I assumed that using a simple
> example would illustrate them more effectively.

Based on the response, it appears you assumed incorrectly.

I also note the existence of previous times when you've attempted to illustrate points with excessively simplistic examples, and it not working then either. In fact if I recall correctly it was the same point with the same examples.

In the real world, of course, using firstname, lastname as a key is a really bad choice. I would expect that if you have a valid point to make, it ought to be possible to make it with examples that do not involve what would be really bad choices in everyday practice. It also ought to be possible to do so in less than 20 pages. Note that I did not say "easy."

Marshall Received on Sat Jul 29 2006 - 00:29:52 CDT