Ben-Michael Schueler

From: Paul Mansour <paul_at_carlislegroup.com>
Date: 28 Jul 2006 12:07:13 -0700

I've just finished reading an interesting 1977 article entitled "Update Reconsidered" by one Ben-Michael Schueler. (In a nutshell: destructive UPDATE and DELETE should eliminated.) It's printed in a hard-to-find collection of papers "Architecture and Models in Data Base Management Systems", the proceedings of some conference. (I can't find the article on the web.)

I first became interested in Schueler from a quote in the frontpiece of C.J. Date's (et al) book on temporal databases:

 "The Database is not the database - the log is the database, and the database is just an optimized access path to the most recent version of the log. "

...though Date attributes the quote to Schueler, he implies in a footnote that the origin is really unknown.

Some questions if anyone has any answers or pointers:

The above quote is not from the above article. Does anyone know where it is from? Is it even Schueler's?

Are there other database writings of Schueler? Are they available on the Web?

What little I could find out about Schueler is that he was some how affiliated with AXEL Springer Verlag AG, back in 1977. Was/Is he an academic, in industry? Does anyone know anything about him?

Thanks. Received on Fri Jul 28 2006 - 21:07:13 CEST

Original text of this message