Re: Surrogate Keys: an Implementation Issue

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 04:42:48 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:PPMxg.21411$pu3.353655_at_ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> Brian Selzer wrote:
>
>> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>>The only relevant concern is whether the update is correct. If the update
>>>is correct, it matters not at all that it overwrites something, which is
>>>presumably no longer correct.

>>>Using logical identity and natural keys, that's not possible. The key
>>>that Bob specifies identifies the entity. And if Bob updates the entire
>>>row, the entire row needs updating. I draw your attention, in particular,
>>>to my observation that one can just write better applications that don't
>>>update anything that didn't change.
>>
>> Of course it's possible. The key that Bob specifies identifies the
>> entity at the time of the read from the database. By the time that the
>> write occurs, that same key now refers to a different entity.
>
> Are you stupid or just ignorant? What you state above can only happen if
> one assumes one is using a hidden surrogate. If one uses explicit values
> that Bob interacts with, then the value identifies a single entity. That
> identity does not change.

From Bob's perspective, what he would expect is that the entity that he's working on, identified by the key values he used to retrieve it, would not change; however, since the database is no longer the same when Bob attempts to commit, the entity that he was working on may either no longer exist, or may have been changed by another user. During that same interval, a second entity may have been changed so that by the time Bob attempts to commit, that second entity may be identified with respect to the new database state by the exact same key values that Bob read out.

> The logical
>> identity in the database value that existed at the time of the read is
>> different from the logical identity in the database value that exists at
>> the time of the write even though their atomic values are identical.
>> Logical identity within the value of a database at a specific point in
>> time can be represented by a natural key.
>
> You are a crank. Plonk.
>
> [longwinded idiotic nonsense snipped]
>

>>>The only time Bob's change could update the wrong entity is if the
>>>application Bob is using identifies the 'row' using a surrogate key that
>>>Bob cannot see.
>>
>> I don't think you understand the problem. See above.
>
> I don't think you understand relatively plain english. I won't bother
> directing you to anything. Since you were incapable to understand it the
> first time, I have little hope you ever will.

I understand fine: You're wrong. You know you're wrong, but don't have the stones to admit that you're wrong, so you resort to name calling. Typical adolescent behavior.

>>>You have yet to establish that it needs to.
>>>
>>>, so the value of a

>>>This only matters if one writes shitty applications with sloppy code. See
>>>my earlier posts.
>>
>> No. The integrity of the database should not depend on the quality of
>> application code.
>
> With all due respect, the dbms can only do so much. If a willful ignorant
> like yourself is determined enough, he can write shitty sloppy code that
> forces garbage into the dbms. All he has to do is make updates that were
> never requested by users exactly as you propose when constructing your
> straw man.

Haven't you ever heard about constraints? Also, the updates that occur between the read and the write would have to be valid, otherwise one or more intermediate database states would be inconsistent. The problem is that the key values read out no longer reference the same entity at the time of the write.

> The database should reject changes that would cause it to
>> become corrupt, so shitty applications and sloppy code are not relevant
>> to this discussion.
>
> To answer your stupidity, I would first have to teach you what an external
> predicate is. Since that is extremely basic and since you have failed to
> learn that before spouting nonsense, you don't deserve any such remedial
> lesson.

I know what an external predicate is. What does that have to do with the fact that Bob just updated the wrong row? How could you prevent that in application code, or in the middle-tier? You can't, unless you either (1) lock the row until Bob gets back from Tahiti, or (2) use a surrogate to guarantee that the row that's about to be updated is the same as the one that was read out.