Re: why hierarchy?

From: erk <eric.kaun_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2006 12:53:47 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Joe Kesselman wrote:
>
> > Reminder: XML is intended as an interchange syntax, and therefore was
> > designed for maximum simplicity.
>
> If that was a design criterion, they failed miserably.

Hear, hear. Manipulating XML in any language (I've primarily used XSLT and DOM/SAX/JAXB/Castor in Java) runs you smack into the shambling, bulky incoherence of the XML "InfoSet."

Apparently its "designers" never fully understood Antoine de Saint-Exuper: "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

  • erk