Re: why hierarchy?

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 26 Jul 2006 10:15:27 -0700

Andy Dingley wrote:
> Joe Kesselman wrote:
>
> > Reminder: XML is intended as an interchange syntax,
>
> XML is intended as an interchange syntax that's also a slashed-down
> SGML.
> That's had more effects on its design than any amount of DB theory.
>
> Yes, we _know_ most of XML is wrong. It's just where you end up if you
> start from where XML started from.

Yes, and purely as an interchange syntax it is adequate-ish (or as I mentioned poor if one has to use it in any time critical app). The issue is however when it is used to store information at a logical level, as opposed to just being used for packaging for couriering, at which point it becomes woeful. Unfortunately it is this latter use that has gained prevalence, despite the woeful hierarchical query bias, and complete lack of powerful manipulation mechanism.

And yes I realise it is not purely hierarchical if one throws items such as xlink/xpointer into the mix but as an old friend once told me referring to the world wide web, "sure, you can glue arms and legs onto a hamburger, but at the end of the day it is still a hamburger." Received on Wed Jul 26 2006 - 12:15:27 CDT