Re: Surrogate Keys: an Implementation Issue

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:38:41 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:XQ5xg.14298$pu3.333248_at_ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> Brian Selzer wrote:
>
>> "Bernard Peek" <bap_at_shrdlu.com> wrote in message

>>>If what you think of as the key is mutable it's not a natural key.
>>>Natural keys aren't mutable, at all, ever.
>>
>> Untrue! Natural keys are often mutable--especially compound keys.
>>

>>>The problem here is that there isn't a usable natural key for
>>>identifying people. So all that's left are surrogates of varying
>>>quality. The SSN is a surrogate that works most of the time. If you
>>>assign someone a payroll number and tell tham that thay won't get paid
>>>unless they can quote it then you have a close to immutable key. But
>>>it's still a surrogate.
>>>
>>>I think the original post was part correct. Use a natural key when you
>>>have one. I'd just add to that, don't use a surrogate unless there is a
>>>compelling reason for it. Efficiency is unlikely to be a compelling
>>>argument in most cases.
>>
>> There is always a compelling reason to use surrogates: natural keys can
>> change. This makes it difficult--if not impossible--to detect changes to
>> rows. For example, Bob is preparing to update a row--that is, he has
>> read the row and is in the process of keying in a change. During that
>> time, another process updated several rows in the same table. Unless the
>> key is immutable, when Bob issues the update, there's no guarantee that
>> the row he's updating is the same one that was read out.
>
> So? Bob issues an update statement to change some attribute identified by
> a logical identifier. As long as the data Bob is entering is correct, why
> should he care what happens to any other attributes?

He may be overwriting a change made by another user.

> This problem is magnified
>> if there are rows related via a foreign key constraint because it's
>> possible for the referenced row to appear unchanged. So you're left with
>> either maintaining an exclusive lock on the row until Bob returns from
>> the golf outing, or adding additional columns and code in order to
>> determine with certainty whether or not a change occurred between the
>> time that a row was read and the time of the update.
>
> Or you can just write better applications that don't update anything that
> didn't change. By introducing some 'under-the-covers' identifying
> attribute, you create a risk that Bob will change some data identified by
> a familiar logical identifier and some other process in the meantime will
> associate that identifier with a different surrogate. Your application
> will then record the updates against the wrong logical identifier.

You're missing the point. The change Bob's making may change the row, but because several changes occurred to the table while Bob was keying in his change, the row he's about to change may represent some other entity altogether.

The Relational Model doesn't take into account duration, so the value of a database at the time of a read is not necessarily the same as that at the time of a write, nor is the meaning of a key with a specific atomic value at the time of a read necessarily the same as the meaning of a key with the same atomic value at the time of a write. Surrogates provide the continuity across database states that the Relational Model lacks.

> It seems to me you just went to a lot of trouble to invent a problem that
> never existed in the first place.

I didn't invent this problem. I've run across it several times. It's extremely difficult to diagnose and even more difficult to repair, since it lets garbage get into the database.