Re: Surrogate Keys: an Implementation Issue

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 24 Jul 2006 05:48:29 -0700

>> Before exerting myself to think of an answer to this, why, after assering that an attribute is a foreign key, would it ever be reasonable not to want ON UPDATE CASCADE? If the attribute is not a foreign key, don't say it is. <<

The only one I can think of is to force an error to show up that can be caught and handled.

Possible example: I am changing my part numbers and I have two conversion rules which I can determine in some manner from the old part number and other data.

To be honest, REFERENCES was in the standards before the ON [UPDATE|DELETE] clause and this default action is a bit of historical baggage. Received on Mon Jul 24 2006 - 14:48:29 CEST

Original text of this message