Re: Database design ideas or templates...

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:00:40 +0100

romantercero_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the appropriate group but here
> goes...
>
> I'm currently in the process of designing a new warehouse management
> system from the ground up as our old one in MS Access is inadequate,
> slow and poorly designed. I know I'm not the first person in the
> world with the requirements I have so I am looking for some database
> templates to get some ideas and avoid having to reinvent the wheel.
>
> The basic requirements for the database are that it store transactions
> made so that to get a current inventory count need to add up the
> inbound and outbound transactions. This is to say that it be auditable.
> Another requirement is that products cane come grouped and can be
> manipulated with one group ID or handle for convenience but in outbound
> transactions it should be possible to send only a unique product from a
> group.

> Thanks before hand!

You didn't mention your db of choice. Nor your OS. Nor your RAM.

If you wish to go with Oracle (and maybe PostgreSQL) and have a small system, you might want to look at www.compiere.org which is an ERM system for free.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.