Re: Surrogate Keys: an Implementation Issue

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:41:06 GMT

Paul Mansour wrote:
> Is this a bad conclusion?

A system-supplied CANDIDATE key seems no more a bad conclusion than a system-supplied date but I suspect there are readers here who would prefer to complicate the environment by dragging in various code standards or other arbitrary inventions. TTM suggests this very thing in its 'RM strong suggestions' and can be found online although the book goes into more detail and IIRC avoids using the to me risky word 'super'. It also doesn't pre-suppose a '32-bit' value - eg., that could have wrap-around problems. Maybe it's another argument for always using views at the application level.

p Received on Wed Jul 19 2006 - 11:41:06 CDT