Re: Can relvars be dissymetrically decomposed? (vadim and x insight demanded on that subject)

From: Tony D <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 17 Jul 2006 18:09:28 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Your last statement above overlooks logical independence. A relvar is
> not a piece of memory, and it can be a mathematical, logical,
> referentially-transparent-placeholder-shorthand-for-an-expression
> variable. What, after all, is a view if not a relvar and not a
> mathematical, logical,
> referentially-transparent-placeholder-shorthand-for-an-expression variable?

Fair point. I forgot that, in the Introduction to Database Systems at least (I don't have TTM here), relvars are noted as coming in two varieties.

> Since algebra.

Since I was in the context of a 3GL, I didn't think this objection would come up. Silly of me. I would amend that sentence then to read "Since when was '+' defined over memory references ?" (Casts, BCPL and C-derived lunacy excepted. "*s++" indeed.) Received on Mon Jul 17 2006 - 20:09:28 CDT