Re: views of binary operations

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:36:09 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:

> Aloha Kakuikanu wrote:

>> Marshall wrote:

>>> Is it necessarily named? Might we find use for an anonymous view?
>>
>> Well, the point is that the term "view" is redundant and SQL-ish.
>> Relations and relational expressions are the fundamental concepts, and
>> view is some bastardized idea.
>
> I disagree. Views and snapshots are fundamental and are the source of
> logical independence.

Not familiar with the term 'logical independence' as written - does it refer to logical-physical independence and/or lack of redundancy?

(I notice that Codd 1970 mentioned the word 'view' several times, I think once as a synonym for model and also in non-specific terms but not in language terms, say as a named relational expression or catalogue macro, ie. not in today's sense, if I've got it right. As a 'macro', a view already defers some evaluation, if that's what Marshall S. is driving at. Maybe that's not important, after all what we call relations today he called relationships then.)

p Received on Mon Jul 17 2006 - 09:36:09 CDT