Re: What databases have taught me

From: topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: 12 Jul 2006 08:58:56 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> topmind wrote:
> > Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

> > If you know how business and marketing minds work, by all means write a
> > fricken book. (Some recommend the Dilbert series, but that only shows
> > non-working minds, which may be accurate after all.)
>
> Are they really all that hard to understand? If one can understand the
> angler fish, I think one can understand the marketing mind.

I cannot tell whether the social rules and movements that they are (allegedly) tracking and following are random, or have a pattern that I cannot distinquish. These are people who spent far more time socializing than I did during the school years, so it is possible they understand things that I don't about that domain. It may not even be "understanding" social movements, just having enough experience to be able to predict. It is analogous to neural nets that can predict future patterns based on past patterns of something even though the neural net does not "undersrtand" the reason for the past patterns. Marketers seem to be this way.

And things like laws, such as tax laws or postal regulations, appear to be guided by political wrangling and compromise that is often not available for public inspection. Thus, one may never see the reasons (or lack of) for some decisions. Further, simplicity is often not a politician's main goal.

-T- Received on Wed Jul 12 2006 - 17:58:56 CEST

Original text of this message