Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bruno Desthuilliers <onurb_at_xiludom.gro>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:26:31 +0200

Bob Badour wrote:
> topmind wrote:
>

>> Tony D wrote:

>>> Exactly. You've "kicked around approaches to measure the code impact of
>>> various change scenarios". But without being able to formally reason
>>> about behaviour in the abstract, before a piece of code is even
>>> written, you're fighting a losing battle, making more-or-less educated
>>> guesses.
>>

>> Again, it is not clear to me what you are proposing. Formal proving is
>> not a common industry practice.

> And your point would be? You seem to be trying to make a claim about
> computing science, but you measure that by the properties of industry
> practice. Given that many of us think the state of the industry is
> appalling and characterized mostly by ignorance, misconception and
> anti-intellectualism, you won't convince many of us with that sort of
> non sequitur.

Bob,

"topmind" is our pet crank here on comp.object. He has a great record of asserting things without being able to back them with anything else than "I don't know why but it is so", then challenging the others to prove him wrong, then dismissing answers as either "lab example" (implied : can't work in real life) or "irrelevant to it's own 'niche'" (which is defined as "custom biz apps", whatever this may mean). FWIW, he admitted believing RM was "a brass-bullet" (while not believing in silver-bullet...)

--
bruno desthuilliers
python -c "print '_at_'.join(['.'.join([w[::-1] for w in p.split('.')]) for