Re: A good book

From: Chris Smith <cdsmith_at_twu.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:56:28 -0600

-CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> >> The problem is that I'm looking for information on the connection between relational databases and the theory of relations. I am interested in examples of how the mathematical properties of relations are actually used to solve real-world software problems in databases. <<
>
> Not so much real-world, but the best "math foundations" boo is The
> THEORY OF RELATIONAL DATABASES by David Maier (ISBN 0-914894-42-0)

Thanks.

While looking at that book, I also found Foundations of Databases: The Logical Level, by Serge Abiteboul, which looks like a good book. Any opinions on it? In any case, the profuse apologies in the preface for omitting technical details of some of the mathematical proofs bodes well. (It means, for example, that it is fairly routine for the book to CONTAIN mathematical proofs of important properties, distinguishing it most of what I've seen so far.)

--
Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation