Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:44:47 GMT

topmind wrote:

> Tony D wrote:
>

>>topmind wrote:

>>>I have kicked around approaches to measure the code impact of various
>>>change scenarios. The problem is that people also perceive change
>>>differently, I've found out, such that they would assign different
>>>frequency estimates, which were required to get a total score.
>>>

>>Exactly. You've "kicked around approaches to measure the code impact of
>>various change scenarios". But without being able to formally reason
>>about behaviour in the abstract, before a piece of code is even
>>written, you're fighting a losing battle, making more-or-less educated
>>guesses.
>
> Again, it is not clear to me what you are proposing. Formal proving is
> not a common industry practice.

And your point would be? You seem to be trying to make a claim about computing science, but you measure that by the properties of industry practice. Given that many of us think the state of the industry is appalling and characterized mostly by ignorance, misconception and anti-intellectualism, you won't convince many of us with that sort of non sequitur. Received on Sun Jul 09 2006 - 08:44:47 CDT