Re: A good book

From: Chris Smith <cdsmith_at_twu.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 21:49:01 -0600

Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Relational theory is mostly about data, at least historically. So
> I would change your question to being a question about theorems
> in relational theory about data transformations, rather than
> program transformations.

I concur with Bob that there doesn't seem to be much of an important difference between the two. I'm rather convinced that the distinction between data and behavior is really just in the programmer's mind, and/or encapsulated by the *convenience* structures provided by languages and tools. The distinction fundamentally need not exist, and I'm sure anything that can be said about one can be equally well said about the other merely by translating the language (though potentially in non-trivial ways).

> The obvious thing to me to mention is the normal forms.

Yes, that definitely does seem to be a good example. Thanks!

[...elsewhere...]
> Every relation has an associated predicate.

Is this common language? I'd expect to see "every relation IS (not has) a ___ predicate" while filling in the blank either with "binary" or with "n-ary; n >= 2" depending on the author.

--
Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation