Re: I think that relational DBs are dead. See link to my article inside

From: Josip Almasi <joe_at_vrspace.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 15:53:48 +0200

Dmitry Shuklin wrote:

> It is very strange for me, what i have in experiment. When i disable
> MRU and load all network into Windows virtual memory (1GB can be
> loaded), it is many more times worse then when i limit cache to 1 MB
> and use my own swapping based on MRU (less than 1% cache hit rate with
> 1MB and full scan). Windows OS swapping kills the performance
> completly. It takes hours to execute network when using Windows OS
> virtual memory. And minutes with 1MB RAM to scan 1GB on harddrive.

Exactly. I've done it with java and got much the same result - about 100 times slower when windows swaps.
I don't get it... I use simple MRU and get 97% hit rate. If windoze (jvm?) used the same simple MRU for pages it should get at some hits... ... seems they use some more advanced caching techniques;)

Regards... Received on Fri Jul 07 2006 - 15:53:48 CEST

Original text of this message