Re: A good book

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 22:32:15 GMT

Chris Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let's say you met someone who has a strong mathematical background, a
> long history of development of mainly business application software, a
> perfectly fine understanding of writing SQL queries in practical
> settings. This person understands that OO languages are somewhat
> arbitrary, but not particularly convinced that they are evil.
> Similarly, he is not convinced of the need for writing significant
> amounts of code in declarative style, nor that the existence of a simple
> formal mathematical model behind relational databases is necessarily
> exploitable to produce better software. Let's further say that you
> could get said person to read one book. What would it be?
>
> (Yes, this is somewhat autobiographical...)

That's a difficult one. I don't know whether I would say Fabian Pascal's _Practical Issues..._ or Date/Darwen's _TTM_ or maybe one of Date's earlier _Writings..._ books.

Perhaps it would be better to just direct him to the EWD archive at utexas. Received on Fri Jul 07 2006 - 00:32:15 CEST

Original text of this message