Re: OO versus RDB

From: H. S. Lahman <h.lahman_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:58:39 GMT

Responding to mAsterdam...

>>> Earlier in this thread you said:
>>>
>>>  > I would suggest even further isolation.  The application solution
>>>  > doesn't care if the data is in an RDB, an OODB, flat files, or clay
>>>  > tablets.  So one should hide the SQL as well.
>>>  >
>>>  > In so doing one can often provide reusable storage access across
>>>  > applications where one only needs to provide a subsystem interface
>>>  > and identity mapping to access the data for a particular context.
>>>  > SQL is particularly suited to this because one is just concatenating
>>>  > identity strings.
>>>
>>> and I asked you to point out the benefits of that approach.
>>> It seems I have to accept a - to me - wrong look at the role
>>> of schemata and databases to see those benefits.
>>

>> I still don't see what this has to do with OO development.

> So?

Why do you keep bringing up OO?

>> The benefits are the same benefits one  gets from any software
>> modularization: simplifying subject matters; containment, reuse, and
>> -- most relevant for this thread -- context-independence.

> , in casu database independence, at the cost of
> 1. if you have dbms: a lesser facade with roll-your-own abstractions.
> 2. if you haven't: a roll-your-own dbms,
> and in both cases modules still fully dependent on the relevant
> part of the conceptual schema (whether it is coded or not, the latter
> being the toughest spot to be in).
>
> Not really a hard decision.

Exactly my point. For large, complex applications the benefits far outweigh the cost of (1) so there is effectively no decision.

>>> mm.: mutatis mutandis. Just try to fill it in.
>>

>> That doesn't help.  I don't follow what you mean by the comment.  What
>> goes for OO as well?

> What part of
> didn't you believe?

OK, that's it for this thread. Making an incomprehensible statement and then asserting that you won't deign to explain what you really meant is not a good basis for rational discussion. Ta-ta.

There is nothing wrong with me that could not be cured by a capful of Drano.

H. S. Lahman
hsl_at_pathfindermda.com
Pathfinder Solutions -- Put MDA to Work http://www.pathfindermda.com
blog: http://pathfinderpeople.blogs.com/hslahman Pathfinder is hiring: