Re: I think that relational DBs are dead. See link to my article inside

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Jul 2006 05:14:28 -0700

Dmitry Shuklin wrote:
> Hi Cimode
>
> > But transaction isolation is an imperative requirement to set up a
> > DBMS. Are you saying that you have not succeeded (yet?) into setting
> > it up?
>
> I have sayed already that it is experimental OODB. It has many of
> limitations. I describe some in other posts. Yes, single user mode and
> single thread kernel is restrictions of current version too.
>
> I don't say that this DB is completed and ready to fight with Oracle
> and MS )) But I am saying that this DB demonstrate teoretical
> _possibility_ to Network OODBs be more powerful then current RDBMS.
Don't bother with Oracle and SQL Server. I am not worried about functional limitations but logical and abstract limitations. Doing better than Oracle and SQLServer has been done several times and is not that hard considering how far they get away from RM.

OTOH, the logical and abstract limitations you have explained tend to prove that your experimental attempt can not constitute a logical abstract model as RM is.

Still, I encourage you to pursue your effort but in a knowledgeable manner about RM concepts that are light years from current implementation. I suggest you read: Introduction to Database Systems from CJ Date. Knowing better RM (<> SQL) will help you make a better implementation and gain time through not doing or repeating mistakes. Received on Wed Jul 05 2006 - 14:14:28 CEST

Original text of this message