Re: Bob's 'Self-aggrandizing ignorant' Count: Was: What databases have taught me

From: Bruno Desthuilliers <onurb_at_xiludom.gro>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 11:49:27 +0200

Bob Badour wrote:
(snip)
> I think you are confusing two distinct dichotomies:
>
> Imperative vs functional
> Declarative vs procedural
>
> I am not sure where the declarative vs imperative misconception
> originated, but sadly, I see it has caught on.

Bob, I've *always* seen the dichotomie as being imperative (how) vs declarative (what) - procedural, functional and OO being mostly "programming style" (ways to express/organize). In this context, procedural is of course mainly imperative, functional is mainly declarative, and OO can be both (usually imperative in the implementation and declarative in the interface).

You declare this a "misconception", yet it seems to be the commonly accepted definitions, so would you care giving some pointers ?

--
bruno desthuilliers
python -c "print '_at_'.join(['.'.join([w[::-1] for w in p.split('.')]) for