Re: I think that relational DBs are dead. See link to my article inside

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 19:52:04 GMT

Dmitry Shuklin wrote:

> Hi,
>

>>Give just ONE example.  I sincerely doubt there is anything you can do
>>in a network model DB that cannot be done  at least as well in a
>>Relational model DB.

> Trees )) I think You understand what I mean. Of course on the same
> abstraction level as the relational model works. You can emulate trees
> on RMD. But it will cause more abstraction levels to appear.

Emulate? How exactly does the transitive closure operation emulate? How exactly do value-based references emulate?

> In fact i am interested in emulation of artificial neural network.
> Making ANN with SQL - ha ha ha.
>

>>Sorry, but all I see on that page is a couple claims, no supporting
>>data. I will not download some unknown executable.  Make a case without
>>having us run your program for you.

> Sorry, i don't have any artiles on English describing my OODB research
> yet (((
> And even when you download zip you can find there only C# sources. no
> documentation (((
>
> I know, i know (((
>
> What differ my DB from the rest? :
>
> - one object can have a many ObjectIDs
> - one ObjectID can address many different object instances

In short, no logical identity whatsoever. Sounds, um, charming. ::rolls eyes::

> - multilevel undo/redo transactions are supported

Wee!

> What restrictions current version has?
> - only single user mode.
> - only single thread.

So, can we assume it fully supports join, project, extend, union, intersect, transitive closure, restrict, the existential quantifier and the universal quantifier? Or do you not consider the lack of any of those 'restrictions'? Received on Mon Jul 03 2006 - 21:52:04 CEST

Original text of this message