Re: RM's Canonical database

From: Dan <guntermann_at_verizon.net>
Date: 3 Jul 2006 12:15:47 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Dan wrote:

[snip]
> > No, you were very clear Bob. I think the distinction might be somewhat
> > artificial though for a variety of reasons. But that is merely my
> > opinion.
>
> Every human artifact is artificial including language and definitions.
> That said, the definition I gave was the only pertinent definition
> within the context of the subthread when I gave it. It was the only
> sensible interpretation of Frans' unqualified use of the term 'data';
> although, he clearly was too ignorant and too full of shit to realise
> what he was saying.
>
> The semantic information definition, the information theory definition
> and the signal processing definition had no sensible application to the
> statement that 'data' belong in a database:
>
> A database is a passive set of facts. It does not communicate, and it
> has no signal to process. Further, because it is a set of facts and
> because facts have meaning, the semantic information definition that
> data has no meaning clearly had no application or useful interpretation.

Granted. I was never arguing with the validity of your definition in the first place. I was perplexed by Frans's challenge, but as I said noted as a preface to my statements before and as Frans confirmed in response, it was provocation with little intent for insight or real discussion.

[snip]

> >>Within the context of newsgroups beginning with comp. (and especially
> >>any relating to data), the definition I gave is the standard definition.
> >>For one to use a different definition, such as the information theory
> >>definition or the signal processing definition, one would have to state
> >>the context explicitly (unless the context was already very clear.)
> >
> > I understand your definition and desire to use it Bob.
>
> Do you see why it was the only sensible definition to apply to Frans'
> statement that 'data' belong in a database?

Of course I do.

> But
> > propositional and predicate logic never had to make this distinction in
> > order to work with facts, information, and knowledge, so making the
> > distinction now seems to muddy the water.
>
> I disagree. Knowing the difference between data and information is very
> informative. Without that understanding, one will not really appreciate
> the difference between conceptual analysis and logical design. One will
> not really appreciate the concept of an external predicate either. One
> will not appreciate the inherent limition of all formalisms as expressed
> by Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem and why that limitation is not as
> limiting as some might suggest.

Ok. I agree with you (vehemently).

> Then, I must ask: What do you hope to achieve by agreeing with me so
> vehemently?

I always was agreeing with you within the context of the thread. My response was to Frans and his challenge to your definitions.

> > Bob, I will try to get ahold of the 2382-01 definitions, but I am not
> > inclined to have someone else's perception of the one and only
> > acceptable definition force fed down my throat.
>
> Is it insecurity that makes you think anyone is trying to do that?

No.

> This is a topic where precision is important and where self-aggrandizing
> ignorants and snake-oil salesmen like Frans' make nonsense statements
> with great frequency and apparent conviction. If one is forced to hear
> them, I think the skill to identify their nonsense is an important skill
> to have.
>
> In order to do that, one has to have a good grasp of all the definitions
> of the terms they use and when those definitions apply. Do you disagree?

No.

> Too many make this
> > claim of authoritative definition and I've learned not to accept such
> > as face value.
>
> Are you saying you have problems with authority?

Yes.

Knowing 1) the precise
> definitions of a word, 2) the precise contexts in which the various
> definitions apply and 3) the ways people frequently misuse a word give
> one power over authority and freedom from arbitrary authority.

True.

> Frans's response seems to indicate a different take on
> > the definitions and thus this reinforces my claim that the definition
> > of data and information is not as definitive and self-evident as some
> > may claim.
>
> Frans has demonstrated repeatedly that he is a self-aggrandizing
> ignorant and a snake-oil salesman. His responses should in no way affect
> the thinking of intelligent, rational, educated people.
>

> The terms and the distinction between them are way too
> > abused.
>
> Absolutely, I agree. The semantic information definition appeals to
> managers who mostly come from sales, marketing or administrative
> backgrounds. While they don't really understand the philosophy either,
> the idea that data has no meaning lets them off the hook for not
> understanding computing science, data processing or information technology.

Yep. This is the very source of my reaction. Sorry to distract from the essence of the discussion.

Regards,

Dan Received on Mon Jul 03 2006 - 21:15:47 CEST

Original text of this message