Re: RM's Canonical database

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2006 08:22:38 -0700

Frans Bouma wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>
> > Please, enlighten us on the difference between data and information.
>
> I think we all can handle a dictionairy, don't you? :). For the
> dictionary impaired:
> Data: 1
> information: 1, customerid of your first customer.

Which dictionary said that?

Looking at either dictionary.com or m-w.com, the definitions for data and information are virtually interchangable.

Excerpting:
dictionary.com
data: factual information
information: a collection of facts or data

m-w.com
data: factual information
information: facts, data

dictionary.com gives the CS-specific definition of "data" as:

"Numerical or other information represented in a form suitable for processing by computer."

Further I observe that these definitions are consistent with what I observe both in general usage and in my field in particular.

Marshall Received on Mon Jul 03 2006 - 17:22:38 CEST

Original text of this message