Re: What databases have taught me

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:49:36 -0500

On 2006-06-28 07:11:38 -0500, "David Cressey" <dcressey_at_verizon.net> said:

> "Robert Martin" <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com> wrote in message
>

>> It is not hiearchy that drives OO, it is dependency management.  It is
>> the decoupling of callers from callees through the mechanisms of
>> dynamic polymorhism that is the driving force behind OO design.

> This is a significant point. It's worth civil discussion.

That would be refreshingly different!

<lots of good stuff snipped>

> I realize the above hasn't said much of anything about dynamic polymorphism,
> but I wanted to lay the foundations for a rational discussion of RM (or
> RDM, as I prefer to call it). A rational discussion of OO and of RM might
> yield insights that the present discussion has not yet yielded.

I agree with everything you wrote. The point I'd like to make is that RM and OO are orthogonal concepts that are not in competition. OO is not anti-RM, and RM is not anti-OO. Each is a decoupling strategy, and each decouples something that the other can't.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com