Re: No exceptions?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:16:13 GMT

[Quoted] Jon Heggland wrote:

> paul c wrote:
>

>>Let me re-phrase my original question:  Is there a logical flaw in
>>substituting TABLE_DUM for x in the expression "x join y" when x is not
>>in the catalogue?

> I don't know what precisely you mean by "logical flaw", so I'll pass
> judgement. If something should be substituted for x (a "default value",
> so to speak), TABLE_DUM does seem the natural choice, though, as it
> corresponds to false/zero in some sense.

[Quoted] But then, what about expressions like "y minus x" where x is unknown? What if y and x were intended to both be very large relations with a small difference? The result would go from small to very large.

[Quoted] Similarly for "not exists" expressions.

>>(Assuming that the syntax requires x to be a relation and with the whole
>>expression's value being TABLE_DUM as well and granting that such a
>>result might seem surprising to most people.)

> "TABLE_DUM join y" evaluates to the empty relation with y's heading, not
> TABLE_DUM (unless y's header is also empty, of course).

[Quoted] Surprising results with no explanation are nowhere near as useful as an informative or even instructive error message. Received on Sat Jul 01 2006 - 00:16:13 CEST

Original text of this message