Re: RM's Canonical database

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 18:06:24 GMT

Michael Gaab wrote:

> "mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message news:44a63f88$0$31653$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>

>>Robert Martin wrote:
>>
>>>... business rules don't belong in the database.
>>
>>What, in your opinion, does belong in the database?

> Imagine that your database is used by multiple applications where
> each application has different business rules.

The name 'business rules' suggest to me the rules apply to the entire business including all applications the business might want. Otherwise, wouldn't they be called 'application rules' ?

  IMO, this is one reason
> why one should not include business rules in a db. So the answer to
> your question is *data*.

'Data' is defined as information represented suitably for machine processing. In what way are business rules not information or not suitably represented for machine processing? Received on Sat Jul 01 2006 - 20:06:24 CEST

Original text of this message