Re: No exceptions?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:04:12 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> paul c wrote:

>> I suppose my "logic", if I may call it that, went like this (at
>> evaluation time):
>>
>> 1) according to syntax, x must be a relation

> What about the relation 'x = true' ? Or rather 'x != false' ?

Suspect I'm missing your point but I'll take a stab and guess that you are pointing out in an oblique way that I haven't specified whether x join y is a question or an answer?

>> 2) according to the catalogue, there are no attributes for a relation
>> named x, so given that the syntax insists x is a relation, it must be
>> the same relation as either TABLE_DEE or TABLE_DUM

> Or it could be a boolean expression. If one treats 'x = 1' as a relation
> to handle restrict, then naturally x by itself is a boolean assertion.
> Is it not?
>

>> 3) because x is not in the catalogue, it has no tuple in the database

> But in the case of 'x = 1', x is not a relation and is not in the
> catalog. Is it?

Sorry, still feel I'm missing the point, not sure where 'x = 1' comes from.

>> 4) since x has no attributes and no tuple, it must have the same value
>> as TABLE_DUM

> Or it could be an expression that evaluates to a whole set of values.

Another guess, are you basically saying that as far as you're concerned, x could stand for anything and everything? If you are, then I guess there is a deep flaw in my assumption that I could stipulate via syntax that x is required to be a relation.

p Received on Sat Jul 01 2006 - 18:04:12 CEST

Original text of this message