Re: What databases have taught me

From: Chris Smith <cdsmith_at_twu.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:44:16 -0600

Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com> wrote:
> I've looked over the thread you referenced above. You asked whether
> 'this' and 'self' were kind of like fields in OO languages. I refuted
> this by saying that, at least in C++, 'this' is not like a field,
> because it's value depends on the method being called. If the method
> of a base class is called then 'this' will point to the base class and
> not to the class of the object itself. (This only matters in cases of
> multiple inheritance). You then asked me for the definition of
> "field", and I did not answer that (yet).

I suppose they say "fools rush in...", so I'll prove that about myself now. :) (By which I mean, PMFJI.)

I don't find it particularly compelling to distinguish this/self from instance fields in that way, especially since the distinction appeals primarily to implementation rather than the actual meaning of what's going on. I could very easily implement C++ in such a way that 'this' remains constant regardless of its static type in terms of the inheritance hierarchy. The only thing I'd lose is a bit of performance in metghod dispatch. I would rather tend to make the distinction by arguing that "this" (or "self") is a more fundamental concept than instance variables. That is, the implicit knowledge by the code in an instance method of the object that is being operated on comes logically prior to the knowledge of what the instance variables are.

This, incidentally, is why I don't much like some of the formal models for OO programming in the research sphere. They get this concept wrong, and model the availability of the object to itself (this) separately from the availability of its state. This mistake seems to be recognizable by the occurrence of the term "open recursion" in the description of the formal model. The result is a kind of disconnect that makes the model difficult to apply in reality.

> So, in OO, a field is more often known as an instance variable.

Wouldn't it be quite the opposite? I've never heard a Smalltalker go on about instance variables. Rather, that phrase seems to be restricted to old C programmers working in C++ or Java.

--
Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation