Re: What databases have taught me

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:06:43 -0500

On 2006-06-23 17:14:19 -0500, cb_at_festis.df.lth.se (Christian Brunschen) said:

> In article <2006062317030938165-unclebob_at_objectmentorcom>,
> Robert Martin  <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com> wrote:

>> OO started in the NCC, during a study of Norwegian shipping. It went
>> through adolesence at Xerox Parc in a study of what the computers of
>> the future might be like. It had a separate, and very different,
>> adolesence in the telecom industry because of Bjarne Stroustrup. The
>> two adolescent strains have been trying to merge; but the C++ strain
>> has been dominating recently. However, the Smalltalk strain is gaining
>> ground in the guise of Ruby.
>
> .. and has in fact been quietly going strong in the shape of Objectve-C
> as well.

Obj-C has survived in certain circles, but "going strong" is not quite the term I would use. Also, although the class library shares many similarities with the Smalltalk libraries, and the method invocations are more like message sends than C++, the compile-link model makes it *very* different from Smalltalk/Ruby.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com