Re: What databases have taught me

From: Keith H Duggar <>
Date: 30 Jun 2006 12:56:13 -0700

Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> Side note: in a strongly typed language "extension" of an
> operation can be accomplished only through an "extension"
> of the type (actually a class of). This happens by adding
> a new type to the class, so that the operation extension
> be defined on that new type.
> > I'm not familiar with the term "predicate dispatch" but
> > as I noted above, pattern matching is roughly the
> > flipside of OO's subtyping polymorphism.
> True. It does not add any safety, not even a feeling of.

You know, there seems to be lots of jargon criss-cross here. For example, since type = class then "adding a new type to the class" is a senseless statement. And as we can see "predicate dispatch" is at least unfamiliar to some and "pattern matching" can mean /many/ things.

What would be great is if along with flying jargon around you all provided /examples/ (in some psuedocode) of what you are trying to describe.