Re: Bob's 'Self-aggrandizing ignorant' Count: Was: What databases have taught me

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 03:58:50 GMT

paul c wrote:

> George wrote:

>> Marshall,
>>
>> Try my description:
>> "The relational model comprises a collection of features useful for
>> constructing large unpredictable state machines from small predictable
>> state machines"
>>
>> 1. Is that statement true of false?

It is false. The relational model is a formalism useful for deducing logical conclusions from sets of facts. The relational model on its own has no utility whatsoever for creating state machines. However, it can describe a given state and can describe how to derive new states from a state so that combined with a turing-complete language of some kind, one can create state machines. Even in this case, however, one would not construct the state machine from smaller state machines.

>> 2. Is it a good descriptor?

As it is false, it is not a description of the relational model at all.

>> 3. Should I be calling other people idiot on the strength of such a
>> statement?

That depends. If they are actively promoting the idea, then yes, you should be calling them idiots.

>> Marshall are you able to answer these questions?
>> Of course anyone else should feel free to answer as well.

I would feel free in any case.

[Paul's answer snipped] Received on Fri Jun 30 2006 - 05:58:50 CEST

Original text of this message