Re: What databases have taught me

From: Gene Wirchenko <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:48:38 -0700

On 29 Jun 2006 08:56:01 -0700, "Marshall" <> wrote:

>Bob Badour wrote:
>> Marshall wrote:
>> >
>> > I also note (perhaps recklessly) than no dynamically typed
>> > language has ever achieved any significant marketshare,
>> > and that historically languages trickle down from academia
>> > and research institutions, and not up from the trenches.
>> Have you forgotten VisiCalc, Clipper and Turbo Pascal?
>I was speaking of trends rather than laws. Certainly Perl
>came up from the trenches. But I would rate Pascal as
>having come from Wirth. (Is TurboPascal a different
>language than Pascal?) I don't know much about clipper

     Rather. The base Pascal was a very limited language. See Brian Kernighan's "Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language". Turbo Pascal had a lot more.

>but I can't imagine its market share for developing software
>was ever all *that* large.

     It was part of the xBASE family, and there were quite a few apps written in it.

>But I will have to grant you the speadsheet! They are quite
>popular, are entirely commercial in origin, and I believe
>isomorphic to a functional programming language.

     Not entirely commercial. We just know that one (VisiCalc) stuck.

Gene Wirchenko Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 19:48:38 CEST

Original text of this message