Re: OO versus RDB

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:42:48 GMT

frebe73_at_gmail.com wrote:

>>However, that isn't the point. There are lots of ways to modify schemas
>>without affecting individual attribute semantics.
>
> Please give some more examples.

Please, stop encouraging the ignorant trolls.

>>For example, I can
>>easily construct an example where the attribute is simply moved to
>>another table (e.g., to a new [EmployeeSalaryInfo] table, which is a
>>child of [Employee]). The application query would still be broken.

> I assume EmployeeSalaryInfo and Employee has the same primary key. That
> is a totally unnecessary change. Nothing forces you to do that kind of
> change.

The self-aggrandizing ignorant is ignoring views. Even if one has a valid reason to move the attribute among the base relations, nothing requires the application to change.

If you are going to engage the self-aggrandizing ignorants, focus on the most relevant and substantive points. When they assume something false, simply point out how it is false and observe that the rest of their argument is unsound. Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 19:42:48 CEST

Original text of this message