Re: OO versus RDB

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:15:49 +0200

topmind wrote:

>>That is, persistence is something outside the
>>realm where objects behave. No behaviour, no objects.

> In some views of OOP, the distinction is blurred. is a "getEmployee()"
> method behavior or data?

Behavior, returning data. Is there something I am missing?

> It might be merely a behavioral wrapper around
> data, but if the internals are not visible (which encapsulation is
> sometimes said to do), one does not know. For example, "voteCount()"
> may actually loop thru all votes to compute the total. Or it may simply
> grab a value from an existing object or structure. One cannot tell
> without looking at the internals.

Right, and ISTM it doesn't matter. "voteCount()" is also behavior returning data, no?

> It could be said that OOP provides behavioral interfaces. But this is
> not necessarily the same as saying objects *are* behavior or require
> behavior.

Could you give an example of a "No behaviour, yet objects." situation you are implying?

--
"The person who says it cannot be done
should not interrupt the person doing it."