Re: Bob's 'Self-aggrandizing ignorant' Count: Was: What databases have taught me

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Jun 2006 01:34:18 -0700

Marshall wrote:

> I view it in an information-theoretic sense: if his crank-detection
> gain
> is turned up, as it were, relative to me, then he'll have more correct
> identifications and more false positives, and I'll have more correct
> rejections and more false negatives. This does not address the
> issue of which of us is more accurate,

Dammit! I deliberately omitted part of the story here, but doing so is dishonest.

To address the issue of which of us is more accurate: Bob is. My own record is littered with false negatives, while Bob's false positive rate is comparatively low. It pisses me off to say so.

Marshall Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 10:34:18 CEST

Original text of this message