Re: What databases have taught me

From: Frans Bouma <perseus.usenet.NOSPAM._at_xs4all.nl>
Date: 29 Jun 2006 07:52:06 GMT

mAsterdam wrote:

> Frans Bouma wrote:
> > mAsterdam wrote:
> >
> > > Frans Bouma wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > Is this from experience - did you see 3 actual models for
> > > a big hospital? Did you try to find out what was same,
> > > similar and different? I speculate that it is speculation.
> >
> > I have, actually. All 3 had over 1000 tables. Not for the same
> > hospital, but all were databases for the information systems for big
> > hospitals. It struck me that they were so different. Of course they
> > all define 'patient' but it was kind of odd that they ended up with
> > such different models. And yet, when you looked at them they all
> > made sense.
>
> What would you do if these three hospitals merged into one?

        Pick one and migrate the others to that system I think. Keeping alive 3 systems is IMHO not that good. You then get the crap we have in The Hague at the moment where 3 hospitals refuse to connect their systems so in one hospital you still need a plastic card and in another you need a barcode on another card etc. .. silly. :)

                 FB Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 02:52:06 CDT