Re: What databases have taught me

From: topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2006 20:20:57 -0700

Robert Martin wrote:
> On 2006-06-23 08:53:00 -0700, "topmind" <topmind_at_technologist.com> said:
>
> > As some are pointing out now, OOP designs to not have to be
> > hierarchical. However, outside of hierarchies, OO tends to lose its
> > selling point.
>
> No, that's just silly. Hierarchies might appeal to non-technical
> people who don't know much about software. Decoupling appeals to very
> technical people who understand the cost of errant dependencies.

Like I said elsewhere, most coupling examples I've seen make assumptions about which change path is the most likely. The ones you choose are not the most likely in my experience (at least for my domain). Thus, your "coupling" metric is not a slam-dunk free lunch. It makes assumptions that some of us question. In short, technical people will disagree about what decoupling option is the best, since they may conflict.

I've described some of this at:

http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?CouplingAndCohesion

Okay, I've fussed enough about coupling this week. This should do it for a while.

> --
> Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob) | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com

-T- Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 05:20:57 CEST

Original text of this message