Re: sql-99 array type

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:39:33 GMT

Darnel Castnblast wrote:

> Are there any databases that have implemented the
> array type, found in the sql-099 spec?
>
> Doesn't this (array types in sql) mean
> relational tables could model many-to-one relations
> in a more tree-like manner, where the attachee table
> holds pointers to the attacher tables of a
> many-to-one relationship?
>
> If so, this would make automated GUI form
> generation (matching a schema) almost trivial.

And everything else almost impossible.

(I forget what product implemented it, but I recall Dennis Shasha is fond of some product that supports something called an arrable. I found the idea a flawed pollution of the logical data model created solely for performance, but you might enjoy it.) Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 02:39:33 CDT