Re: Bob's 'Self-aggrandizing ignorant' Count: Was: What databases have taught me

From: Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquechose_at_free.quelquepart.fr>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 05:03:07 +0200

Adrian Alston a écrit :
> "Bruno Desthuilliers" <onurb_at_xiludom.gro> wrote in message
>

>>What bother me here is not about OO being born from needs for simulation
>>- FWIW, at least part of Bob's assertion seems perfectly and obviously
>>true:
>>
>><quote>
>>(OO) is a
>>computational model comprising a collection of features useful for
>>constructing large unpredictable state machines from small
>>predictable state machines
>></quote>
>>

> Hi Bruno and all,
>
> I have lots of C programming experience but I'm pretty new to OOP can you
> please help.
>
> I can understand how objects are a sort of state machine but I thought OO
> programs should be predictable. What's this unpredictable bit about?

Please notice that this whole thread is crossposted between comp.object and comp.databases.theory, and that it's more of a religious war than anything else. FWIW, Bob Badour is from the DB camp, and has very strong opnions about anything related to OO - to put it short, it's mainline is "OO is crap, RM is the best thing since fried sausage, and anyone not agreeing with me is a self-aggrandizing ignorant deserving to be insulted to hell and back".

While there are some perfectly valid points in it's argumentation (when he bother argumenting instead of insulting people), he always manage to subtly twist the presentation of these point.

> I know
> about simulations but I write regular non-simulation apps. Ok the world
> around the program may be hard to predict but just how are my "OO" programs
> suppose to be unpredictable?

And here you falled into the trap. Bob's way of twisting presentation of facts is of course meant to drive you to the conclusion that OO programs are unpredictable (but be assured that Bob will deny any personal responsability wrt/ your understanding of its assertion).

My experience (and I guess this is shared by too many people to be a special case) is that writing a program in an object oriented style won't by itself make it more (nor less...) unpredictable than if it has been written in a procedural style - at least as soon as you understand how OO works. While you'll be learning OO, you may experience some unpredicted (!= unpredictable) results from time to time (but what, you probably experimented the same kind of things when learning pointers and memory management in C anyway...).

Don't worry about Bob's views on OO, just see by yourself if it helps you solving your problem. But remember that there is *no* silver bullet, and take care of not blindly buying all the PHB-directed marketing crap that they'll try to sell you - with particular attention to anything involving the words 'entreprise', 'solution' and 'architecture', and anything related to Java (you'll probably find Java when you'll see one of these words FWIW).

> Thanks in advance.

HTH Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 05:03:07 CEST

Original text of this message