From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 08:43:18 -0700

On 2006-06-20 10:28:37 -0700, "Aloha Kakuikanu" <aloha.kakuikanu_at_yahoo.com> said:

> Robert Martin wrote:

>> On 2006-06-13 08:30:53 -0400, "x" <x_at_not-exists.org> said:
>>
>>> You can isolate SQL and its functionality in a module, but the interface
>>> will still be dependent of the functionality of SQL if you want to benefit
>>> from it, I guess.

>> True, but the interface will only depend on the abstract nature of the
>> SQL functionality. Thus:
>>
>> Employee* getEmployee(int empId);
>>
>> I can certainly implement this with SQL, but I could implement it any
>> of a number of different ways too. The caller does not need to know
>> that I am using SQL.
>
> You mean you have to write some code? Wake up Martin, 60s are over. The
> task of fetching a list of employees buy some criteria is entirely
> aoutomated within RDBMS engine. It can even use an index, without
> changing a single character in a query.

Thank you. I'm awake now.

Yes, I might have to write some code. For example, the employee database might be in flash memory of a special purpose PDA who's makers decided not to invest money in license fees for a relational engine.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com