Re: What databases have taught me

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 08:30:31 -0700

On 2006-06-23 12:53:54 -0700, "Neo" <neo55592_at_hotmail.com> said:

> I agree. In cases where data is highly structured, representing them
> with a RMDB provides many advantages. However in cases where data is
> highly unstructured, representing them with a RMDB can also become more
> difficult and starts to lose some of its advantages.

Moreover, there is a difference betwee storing data and operating on data. Sometimes, in order to operate on the data, you need to change it's form into one that is more convenient for the operation.

This convenience has more than one motivation. One is sheer computational convenience. But another is source code dependency. When we design our systems, we want to keep certain concepts separate from other concepts. OO allows us to maintain that separation even while we are operating on them.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com