Re: What databases have taught me

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 08:16:14 -0700

On 2006-06-23 08:47:21 -0700, queisser <andrew.queisser_at_hp.com> said:

> I think a distinction between macro and micro-OO needs to be made. At a
> macro level OO may be as good or bad as any other method of structuring
> code. At a micro level OO works extremely well. Somewhere in the middle
> there's a crossover point and it's not always clear where that point
> is. Things like "devices" or "windows" or "customers" can be
> reasonable classes in a hierarchy but at the top level things are not
> as clear.

OO is a tool to help decouple modules. It's not a tool for large scale organization. You can think of OO as the girders of a building, providing the small-scale structural material. The building itself doesn't look like a girder.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com