Re: What databases have taught me

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:04:30 -0700

On 2006-06-23 05:17:21 -0700, "Erwin" <e.smout_at_myonline.be> said:

> There's always SmallTalk, of course. Maybe you disagree, but I've
> heard more than one self-proclaimed OO-purist declare SmallTalk to be
> the only *true* OO language. And that alledgedly "one and only true OO
> language" is, to the best of my knowledge, a thousand times more
> strictly hierarchical than Java or C-with-any-suffix.

Quite to the contrary, while you can build hierarchies in Smalltalk, they are nowhere near as important as they are in C++, Java, or C#. Smalltalk, (and derivative languages like Ruby and Python) are dynamically typed, and therefore don't rely on inheritance to give them dynamic polymorphism. Therefore building inheritance hierarchies is of much less importance in these languages.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com