Re: What databases have taught me

From: mAsterdam <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:58:02 +0200

Frans Bouma wrote:

> Funny thing is that if you give 3 randomly chosen database architects
> (or whatever the f... some people want to call these people) the task
> to develop the RDM for a big hospital (so you end up with at least 700
> or so tables), you will definitely get 3 completely different models.

Is this from experience - did you see 3 actual models for a big hospital? Did you try to find out what was same, similar and different? I speculate that it is speculation.

It does not match my experience. I did some admittedly shallow comparisons of different data models in operation for different organizations in the same businesses (not hospitals). The similarities were striking, noted differences were accounted for.
I think this is because when you are in the same business, you have to deal with the same facts. If you don't you are in a niche.

> Which one is right? Which one is wrong? A matter of argumentation and
> discussion, not something you can test with a hardened testsuit you
> pull off the shelve. Is RM then an ambiguous technique?

Yes, I suspect it is - in theory more so than in practice. This is something that can actually be researched beyond the anekdotal level. Is anybody aware of such research?

"The person who says it cannot be done
should not interrupt the person doing it."
Chinese Proverb.