Re: What databases have taught me

From: erk <eric.kaun_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Jun 2006 12:49:18 -0700

Dan wrote:
> Absolutely true! Relational or object-oriented, it doesn't matter,
> it's the thought process and ability to apply critical analysis to
> problems that makes or breaks the project or solves the problem in the
> most elegant way possible.

This seems to imply that the languages and other formalisms are all the same, though, and I don't think that's true at all. Yes, you can write horrid code using Lisp, Haskell, Java, assembler, XML, SQL tables, relations, etc., and you can write good systems in them as well, but that doesn't mean that some languages and constructs aren't better all around than some others. To assert otherwise is to assert that languages and systems have no impact on the way we think, and I think that's silly.